Next Management Committee Meeting
27 June 2018 (Wed)
Venue: MC Boardroom
Barber Shop Closed on Mondays
Golden Scissors Barber Shop will be closed on Mondays beginning 19 Mar 2018 (Mon) until further notice.
apologisefor the inconvenience caused.
Suit against 5 members of 2011 Management Committee, namely ERIC NG, TAN WEE TIN, WILLIAM KWOK, LOREEN TEO & ANDY TANG HOCK KENG
1. The Club’s lawyers, WongPartnership had advised the Club that the 2011 Management Committee (“2011 MC”) was in breach of fiduciary duties for allowing the Club to make further payments for ex-President, Freddie Koh’s legal expenses even after the Court of Appeal had found that Freddie had acted with malice when he made the defamatory statements against 4 former MC members. These payments were not in the interest of the Club.
2. In mid-August 2016, letters were sent to the 2011 MC demanding payment of these legal expenses.
3. Five (5) members of the 2011 MC approached the Club and reached a settlement by paying an unspecified sum in full and final settlement.
4. In October 2016, legal proceedings for about $391,000.00 were instituted against the other five 2011 MC members, namely ERIC NG, TAN WEE TIN, WILLIAM KWOK, LOREEN TEO and ANDY TANG HOCK KENG (“5 Defendants”) who refused to settle with the Club.
5(a). Unknown to the Club, the 2011 MC had in February 2012, at the suggestion of Legal Solutions (the Club’s then Solicitors), sought an authoritative opinion from Stuart Isaacs, Queen’s Counsel (“QC”).
5(b). The QC gave 3 opinions on 23 February 2012, 27 February 2012 and 2 March 2012, which in summary stated:-
(i) The Members’ Requisition dated 18 January 2012 for an Extra-ordinary General Meeting is neither ultra vires nor improper;
(ii) The Court of Appeal’s finding of malice meant Freddie Koh is not acting in the discharge of duties and responsibilities for and on behalf of the Club as an office bearer;
(iii) In agreeing to indemnify Freddie Koh for his legal expenses after the Court of Appeal’s finding of malice, the 2011 MC may be in breach of fiduciary duties to the Club.
6. In essence, the QC had advised that the Club should not make any payment for Freddie Koh’s legal expenses. However, these 3 QC opinions were suppressed from the Club by the 5 Defendants. None of these 3 QC opinions nor copies were found in any of the Club’s files. These 3 QC opinions were also not disclosed to the members at the 4 March 2012 EGM. In fact, ERIC NG and/or LOREEN TEO informed Legal Solutions that the QC opinion was to be directed to Freddie Koh’s lawyers, M/s Bajwa & Co.
7. It was only in October/November 2016 that the Club, through
MrRobin Tan, discovered these 3 QC opinions and the suppression by the 5 defendants. MrRobin Tan was tasked by the Management Committee to assist the Club in the claim against the 5 Defendants.
8. To save time and legal costs, the Club through WongPartnership gave
an Offerto Settle to the 5 Defendants to pay $380,000.00 and costs to be agreed or taxed (“OTS”) in settlement of the Club’s claim against them. The 5 Defendants accepted the OTS on 28 February 2018 and paid the $380,000.00 with costs yet to be agreed or taxed.
9. On behalf of the Club, the Management Committee would like to thank
MrRobin Tan for his guidance and assistance in this matter.
Revised Bye-law on Bicycles and Personal Mobility Devices
We have attached the revised Bye-law, which will take effect on 21 March 2018.
More Lanes Available for Recreational Swimmers During Swim Training
We have opened up more lanes for recreational swimming at the Recreation Pool during swim training. This is in addition to the lane closest to The Palms and half of the two lanes closest to the Gym.
Please refer to Annex for details.
The whole Recreation Pool is available for recreational swimming when there is no swim training or pool cleaning.
Revised Bye-law on Animals
We have revised the attached Bye-Law, which will take effect from 19 February 2018 (Mon).
Recreation Pool Cleaning Changed to Thursday
Cleaning of the Recreation Pool will be rescheduled to Thursday from Wednesday with immediate effect.
The time of cleaning remains the same from 10.30am to 4pm.
Temporary Closure of Jade Phoenix
Jade Phoenix will be temporarily closed from 12 March 2018 (Mon) to 4 May 2018 (Fri) for the upgrading of its kitchen, which will improve the workflow to better cater for an expected increase in demand. This will also enable us to provide members with a higher level of service and customer satisfaction.
Please continue to patronise The Palms, Jackson Miller and other F&B outlets during this period. Thank you for your support.
Persona Non Grata
The Club has declared persona non grata (PNG) on the following persons:
Mr Yaksh Birla 17 August 2016 Ms Harsha Kaur 19 October 2016 Mr Gupta Dev 22 November 2016 Mr Varun Aryamaan Sanyal 22 November 2016 Ms Tracy Lai Xin 27 December 2016 Mr Oh Khoon Seng 29 March 2017 Ms Divya Bothra 25 April 2017 Ms Conhie Lim 23 May 2017 Ms Shirleen Toh 15 June 2017 Mr Sameer Jawa 5 July 2017 Ms Kashvi Kewiani 23 August 2017 Ms Prathna Jethivani 23 August 2017
The abovementioned persons cannot be signed in as guests.