We regret to inform you that May Day Carnival on 1 May 2014 will be cancelled due to on-going corrective works at Cabana and The Grand Ballroom.
We apologise for any inconvenience caused..
Dated: 24 April 2014
Next Jackpot Collection Day
moved to Wednesday, 14 May
Please be informed that the next Jackpot Collection Day falls on Tuesday, 13 May, which is Vesak Day.
As such, it will be moved to Wednesday, 14 May, as usual from 9am to 12nn.
Operationg hours for Tuesday, 13 May is from 9am to 12am.
Dated: 22 April 2014
Cancellation of Fitness Class
Taiji Quan - There will be no class in May.
Dated: 22 April 2014
Increase in Alcohol and Tobacco
Following the Government’s announcement on the increased taxes on alcoholic beverages and tobacco, the Club had mentioned that we will maintain the prices till 30 April 2014.
As the Club has secured extra stocks in our alcoholic beverages and tobacco, we are pleased to extend the current prices till 31 May 2014. The revised rates will only take effect from 1 June 2014.
Thank you for your support and patronage.
Dated: 28 February 2014
15 April 2014 (Revised)
MSCP Update - 2
1. We are pleased to inform you that in addition to parking lots on levels 1a, 2, 2a, 3, 3a, 4 & 4a, the center parking are now open
2. The parking lots facing the swimming pool will continue to be closed until we obtain TOP which is expected by end April 2014.
3. The parking lots on the 5th level is still closed due to renovation works.
4. Thank you for your understanding and co-operation.
Dated: 28 March 2014
ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING 2014
Notice is hereby given that the Annual General Meeting for Year 2014 will be held on Sunday,
11 May 2014 at 2.00pm at the Grand Ballroom.
• Registration for Meeting & Voting Cards starts at 10.00am and will
close at 3.00pm.
* Voting Cards are used for voting of issues by show of hands during
• Registration for Election Ballot Papers starts at 10.00am and will close
* Election Ballot Papers are used for the election of Club Office Bearers.
• Casting of Election Ballot Papers starts at 10.00am and will close at
• Annual General Meeting proper commences at 2.00pm.
• Members who do not register for the Meeting & Voting Cards during
the official registration period may attend the meeting
Dated: 25 March 2014
Availability of Nomination Forms for Positions in the Management Committee
for Year 2014 - 2016
Nomination Forms for Election to the Management Committee for
Year 2014 - 2016 at the 2014 Annual General Meeting are available for
collection from the Reception Counter, 1st Level, Main Lobby (Admin Block)
from Tuesday, 25 March 2014, between 7.00am and 11.00pm.
(b) Vice President
(c) Honorary Treasurer
(d) 4 Ordinary Management Committee Members
Both the Nomination Form and Personal Data Protection Act (PDPA) Consent Form must be completed and be placed in sealed envelopes marked “Nomination to Management Committee for Year 2014 - 2016”, and must be deposited into the Nomination Box placed at the Admin Office,
3rd level (Admin Block) before 5.00pm on Wednesday, 23 April 2014.
Candidate who submits the Nomination Form without PDPA Consent Form shall be disqualified.
Please note that the Nomination Box will be sealed at 5.00pm sharp on Wednesday, 23 April 2014 in the presence of the Returning Officers.
No nomination will be accepted after the closing time at 5.00pm.
Dated: 25 March 2014
UPDATE ON CLUB’S SUIT AGAINST EX-PRESIDENT FREDDIE KOH (“FREDDIE”) FOR RECOVERY OF LEGAL COSTS AND EXPENSES (nO.2)
1. We wish to remind members that hearing has been fixed in the High Court on 15-18 April 2014 and 22-25 April 2014.
2. The witnesses for the Club are:
(a) Chua Hoe Sing - Club President
(b) Gary Oon - MC Member
(c) Alfred Poon - General Manager
(d) Jennifer Wee - Financial Controller
(e) Mark James - Former General Manager
3. The witnesses for Freddie are:
(a) Tan Wee Tin - Former Treasurer
(b) Eric Ng - Former MC Member
(c) Loreen Teo - Former MC Member
4. Members who wish to attend the hearing may do so.
Dated: 7 March 2014
Stepping up Verification Checks
Please be informed that we are stepping up our security checks.
We have had instances of membership account abuse where siblings and relatives
of members were assuming the member’s account to use Club’s facilities.
Moreover, with membership transferability, it is necessary to ascertain that persons
coming into our Club are bona fide members.
Please bring along your membership card on every visit to the Club. If you have
misplaced your card or if the photo is faded, our Membership Department will be
happy to provide you with a replacement.
We seek members’ understanding and cooperation as our security staff go about
their duties to uphold the integrity and exclusiveness of our Club Membership.
Dated: 13 February 2014
Pedestrian safety in the MSCP
Due of construction work being done on the MSCP staircase, members need to use the ramp to access the lift lobby.
Members are urged to drive with caution, especially when approaching the ramps.
The work on the staircase is expected to be completed by the first week of March 2014.
Thank you for your understanding and co-operation.
Dated: 6 February 2014
Temporary Access Agreement
Laguna National Golf & Country Club
A Temporary Access Agreement was signed with Laguna National Golf & Country Club (LNGCC) to allow members of both clubs to enjoy the facilities at SSC and LNGCC with effect from 1 January 2014.
Under the agreement, SSC members may use LNGCC golfing facilities at special rates, and each member may sign in three guests at guest rates.
In return, LNGCC members who register themselves will be allowed to use SSC’s F&B outlets, recreation pool and other sports and recreation facilities at prevailing rates.
For more information, call SSC Membership Department at 63423 622.
For bookings of LNGCC golfing facilities, please call SSC Sports Counter at 6342 3603.
Following is the list of facilities open to members of SSC and LNGCC
SSC Facilities Food & Beverage
• Deli Corner
• Palms Café
• Cabana Food Stalls
• Bowling Centre Snack Bar
• Fountain Bar
• Jackson Miller Western Dining
• Chinese Restaurant
• D’Tanjong Lounge
• D’Sports Bar
• D’Galaxy Karaoke Lounge
• Social Pool & MSCP Changing Rooms (include Hot Spa facilities)
• Billiards & Pool
• Banquet Facilities
• Multi-Storey Car-Park Guests Lots
LNGCC Golfing Facilities
• Masters Course
• World Classic Course
UPDATE ON CLUB’S SUIT AGAINST EX-PRESIDENT FREDDIE KOH (“FREDDIE”) FOR RECOVERY OF LEGAL COSTS AND EXPENSES
1. In the interest of the Club and as a matter of principle, the four successful Plaintiffs' members, namely Bernard Chan, Robin Tan, Nicholas Chong and Michael Ho, have refunded the Club a sum of $508,568.51 being Club monies utilised by Freddie for payment of legal costs and expenses in the unsuccessful defence of his defamation suit instituted against him by them.
2. The Club would therefore like to put on record their heartfelt thanks and gratitude to these four successful Plaintiffs' members for the refund.
3. Accordingly, the Club’s claim against Freddie for the legal costs and expenses would be reduced to about $1.52 million.
4. Freddie made certain statements which were reported in the Straits Times issue dated 27 November 2013. His statements gave the impression that the Club indemnified and continues to indemnify him for all legal costs and expenses but this is not the case.
5. The Club takes strong objections to Freddie’s statements and members have also raised their concern.
6. The Club has therefore consulted their lawyers who have advised the following:
(a) Freddie’s statements are sub judice as the issues pending determination at the trial include whether Freddie was acting in proper discharge of his duty at the material time, and whether he was entitled to be indemnified by the Club for the legal costs and expenses in the unsuccessful defence of his defamation suit;
(b) in the light of the March 2012 EOGM Resolutions, there is no basis for Freddie to give the
impression that the Club, to this day, continues to indemnify him for the legal costs and expenses.
7. The Club’s lawyers have therefore on 28 November 2013 written to Freddie’s lawyers to demand that Freddie write to the Straits Times to clarify and retract his statements.
8. To date, Freddie has not responded.
9. The current MC would like to reassure members that they are fully committed to carry out the members’ wishes as per the March 2012 EOGM resolutions and make every effort to recover all legal costs and expenses incurred by Freddie.
10. The hearing to recover the legal costs and expenses from Freddie has been fixed in the High Court on 15-18 April 2014 and 22-25 April 2014.
11. The Club will in due course inform members which Court is hearing the case so that members who wish to attend the hearing may do so.
Dated: 3 December 2013
SUIT AGAINST HILADT ARCHITECTS
1. The Club has in early October 2013 commenced legal proceedings in the High Court against the Club’s previous Architects for the development and upgrading works in the Club, HILADT ARCHITECTS (“HILADT”).
2. The principal partners of HILADT are Mr Lim Hseng Iu and Mr Raymond Sim.
3. The Club’s cause of action against HILADT is for negligence particularly in the following:
(a) Defective design of The Cabana Roof
- failing to fulfill the fundamental requirements of a roof in providing shelter from rain;
(b) Failure to comply with regulatory and statutory requirements in the Multi-Storey Car Park (“MSCP”) extension
(i) non-compliance with Fire Safety Code;
(ii) failure to apply for Temporary Occupation Permit (“TOP”).
4. The Club is claiming, amongst others, the costs of rectifying the Cabana Roofs and the MSCP, costs of engaging new architects and additional fees paid to the engineers, consultants and/or quantity surveyor in relation to the rectification works.
5. Tenders for the rectification works have closed and just been awarded to a new contractor for about $2.5 million. The approved budget by the members at the last AGM is $2.7 million.
6. We shall keep members posted of further development.
Dated: 18 November 2013
Design changes for the
Main Cabana, Deli Cabana and MSCP Block
We are pleased to inform that the new Architect SD Architects LLP (SDA) has been appointed on 17th June 2013 to take over from the previous Architect.
Kindly clear your table of your bags and
belongings if you are not physically occupying
it. This gives others the chance to use it.
Open shelves have just been provided for
the purpose of storing your belongings. Club
Management will not be held responsible for
any loss. If you have valuables, please make
use of the free locker service available at the
MSCP Towel Counter.
Dated: 16 October 2013
We want to promote this fascinating game among our members.
With additional mahjong rooms available soon, some members
have expressed interest in learning the game.
Any members willing to teach mahjong to these newcomers?
Please contact Social Department at 6342 3650,670 or 672.
Dated: 2 October 2013
Change in MC portfolios w.e.f. 1 September 2013
Please be informed that VP, Mr Philip Chua will relinquish his position as Procurement Chairman due to his extensive travel schedule. He will continue to serve as Chairman of Legal & Rules, and Mediation.
Concurrently, President Mr Chua Hoe Sing will take over Procurement in addition to his responsibilities as Chairman of Key Administration.
Both changes take effect on 1 September 2013.
Dated: 18 September 2013
Abuse of Membership Privileges
On 19 June at about 2030 hrs, a young man who was not a member
of the Club, signed himself together with a female friend into the Club.
When our security officer found him out, he said his mother, who is a
Club member, was in the gym and would sign him and his friend in later.
However, on checking, our security officer found that the mother was
not in the gym. A police report was filed against the young man for
Please be informed that the Club takes a serious view of abuse of
membership privileges on the part of Club members or their family
members. We will not hesitate to take police or legal action if the case
Dated: 3 September 2013
Produce your Membership Card
before ordering at the Deli
Kindly produce your Membership Card as you make
your orders at the Deli counter.
Members are reminded that Club Bye-Laws require them
to have their Membership Cards with them at all times
while they are on the Club premises.
Dated: 28 August 2013
No reservation of shower cubicles
Please be informed that the shower cubicles are made
available to members on a first-come-first-served basis;
no reservation is allowed.
All personal effects including shower gels, spectacles
and towels left in the cubicles will be removed by our staff.
To reclaim the items, the owner will have to sign for them
at the towel counter.
Dated: 16 August 2013
Health Safety Measures taken at the Club
In the event that the air quality island-wide deteriorates and PSI readings fluctuate between unhealthy and hazardous levels; the Club will implement the health safety measures presented below accordingly.
This practice is to ensure the well-being of both our members and guests.
Please visit the NEA website at www.nea.gov.sg or download the myENV app for regular PSI updates.
More updates on SSC’s health safety measures will also be posted at the SSC website (www.sswimclub.org.sg).
We thank you for your understanding and continued support.
Dated: 2 July 2013
Management Committee Appointments
Mr Chua Hoe Sing - Key Administration
Mr Philip Chua - Legal & Rules; Mediation; Procurement
Mr William Lum - Finance
Mr Krishan Kashyap - Sports
Mr Jonathan Wang - Food & Beverage; Social
Dr David Chung - Development (DC612)
Mr Gope Ramchand - Membership
Mr Samuel Chong - Food & Beverage (Vice-Chair); Membership (Vice-Chair)
Ms Joyce Chan - Lifestyle
Mr Gerad Loo - Swimming
Mr Michael Ho - Facilities
Mr Gary Oon(Co-opted) - Marcom; Jackpot
Dated: 30 May 2013
Summary of Nominations received
Nominations for position of
- Vice President
- 2 Management Committee Members (1 year term)
- 4 Management Committee Members (2 years term)
Further Update on Case Against Former President, Freddie Koh for Recovery of $2 Million
1. Further to our update dated 4 December 2012, please be informed of the following current status:-
(a) Pleadings have closed;
(b) Freddie Koh and the Club are to file a List of Documents they intend to use at the trial by 15 May 2013;
(c) Both parties are then to attend Court on 30 May 2013 for further directions.
2. The case is expected to be heard in the High Court in October/November 2013.
3. The current Management Committee including the newly elected MC members would like to reassure members that they are fully committed to carry out the Resolutions passed on 4 March 2012 EGM and will make every effort to recover the $2 million from Freddie Koh.
4. We shall keep members posted of any further development.
Dated: 9 May 2013
Update on Redevelopment Project (DC612 Notice No.5)
1) Side Linkway between Deli Counter and Cabana
27 Aug 2012 - QP made proposal for a smaller sized Linkway (compared to Contract drawing), which was accepted by DC on the same day
10 Dec 2012 - QP submitted amendment drawings to the URA for approval
08 May 2013 - Permission granted by URA and works completed
2) MSCP extension – 50% Wall opening for natural cross ventilation is a Requirement by SCDF
28 Sep 2012 - Waiver application rejected by SCDF
05 Oct 2012 - QP made proposals on Corrective Works for compliance requirements
06 Oct 2012 - QP and Club discussed compliance proposal
09 Oct 2012 - QP submitted revised drawing
17 Dec 2012 - Main contractor ZENECON submitted cost estimates for these Corrective works at approx. $2m
20 Nov 2012 - QP submitted waiver appeal to SCDF and appeal was rejected on 6 Dec 2012
20 Dec 2012 - QP submitted further proposals for corrective works with jack roof openings to the top floor pitched roof. We are presently awaiting waiver approval from SCDF. Once approved, the QP will submit the Amendment to Approved plans to SCDF
3) Legal Action
The Club has instructed its Solicitors, M/s Wong Partnership, to file legal proceedings against Hiladt for damages. The Club has discharged the services of Hiladt and is in the process of appointing Lander Loke Architects as the Club’s consultant for the remainder of the works, including corrective works for the Multi-Storey Car Park and remedies to address the roof leaks at the Cabanas.
5-day work week for Admin staff w.e.f. 1 February 2013
Moving closer in line with MOM guidelines and the standards practiced
at other local Clubs and government bodies, the Club will implement the
5-day work week for our Admin (office) staff, commencing 1 February 2013.
Once in effect, the Club’s office hours shall be as follows:
Mondays to Thursdays : 8.30am – 6.00pm.
Fridays : 8.30am – 5.45pm
There are no changes in the working hours for the Club’s Operations staff,
and service standards will not be affected.
Dated: 5 January 2013
Update on Case against Freddie Koh for Recovery of $2 million
Know any Club Member who has just won an award on the NATIONAL or INTERNATIONAL stage?
We would like to feature the Member in Splash. Please call our Membership Officer Ms Kajal at 63423 712
or email email@example.com
Dated: 30 November 2012
Purchase of Membership
Purchase of Membership Directly from the Club**
W.e.f 16 October 2012, Club membership can be purchased directly from Singapore Swimming Club at $24,000; which is at a special discounted rate of 40% from the prevailing Family Ordinary Membership Fee of $40,000.
An incentive of $750 will be credited to the account of the member proposer who has successfully recommended a direct sale to SSC.
Discounted rate for extended Family Membership directly from the Club**
The offer is extended to children or parents of existing members at $20,000; which is at a special discounted rate* of 50% from the prevailing Family Ordinary Membership Fee of $40,000.
Important Note :
* For the special discount, there is a lock-in period of 5 years before the membership could be sold in the open market.
If this is not complied with, the member will have to pay SSC the full price of the membership and no recommendation fees will be paid for memberships sold under this category. ** A maximum of 5-year interest-free installments will be permitted.
Dated: 17 October 2012
UPDATE ON ORIGINATING SUMMONS NO OS712/2012/K (“OS 712”)
INSTITUTED BY TAN WEE TIN AGAINST SSC
Members are welcome to provide feedback and/or suggestions to the Management Committee and Executive Management for improvement of the Club as well as to raise any issues that improve the Club’s operations and productivity.
A formalised system and a generic Feedback/Suggestion Form has been introduced by the Management Committee with effect from 16 October 2012.
Forms are available at the Reception Counters at Main Lobby (Club House) / Multi-storey Car Park, F&B Outlets and various sporting / recreational facilities.
Any feedback/suggestion received will be acknowledged and the Management shall review and revert to you within 7 work days of receipt of feedback/suggestion.
Dated: 27 September 2012
Resolutions passed at AGM
On 27 May 2012
The following Resolutions were passed at the Annual General Meeting on 27 May 2012 :-
(1) Revocation of Resolution A and Resolution B passed at the EOGM on 15 November 2009
That Resolutions A and B (details provided below) be revoked :
Resolution A - Censure for incurring Unauthorised Expenditure
That this general meeting of the members hereby censures all the members of the Management Committee 2007/2008*, with the exception of Ms Loreen Teo, for incurring non-budgetary capital expenditure without obtaining the prior approval of the Club’s members, during their term of office.
Resolution B - Motion of “No Confidence” to bar Various Persons from holding office for 5 years
That this general meeting of the members hereby issues all the members of the Management Committee of 2007/2008*, with the exception of Ms Loreen Teo, a motion of No Confidence for the purpose of, and within the meaning of, Rule 21 (a) (viii) 9 (iv) and Rule 22 (j) 9 (iv) of the Rules of the Singapore Swimming Club, for incurring non-budgetary capital expenditure without obtaining the prior approval of the Club’s members during their term of office.
* The Members of the Management Committee 2007/2008 were :-
Mr Bernard Chan - President
Mr Robin Tan - Vice-President
Mr Nicholas Chong - Honorary Treasurer
Mr Mike Chia - F&B Chairman
Mr Michael Ho - Facilities Chairman
Ms Theresa Kay - Social Chairlady
Mr Lim Hseng Iu - Development Chairman
Mr Maurice Low - Tender Chairman
Mr Gary Oon - Marcom Chairman
Mr Gope Ramchand - Membership Chairman
(2) Motion of No Confidence against Tan Wee Tin and Loreen Teo
A motion of No Confidence be passed against Tan Wee Tin and Loreen Teo for not acting in the interests of the Club and in breach of their fiduciary duties.
(3) Idemnity Of Mr Phillip Soh Siong Teck by the Club
The Club do indemnify Phillip Soh Siong Teck against all legal fees, costs and expenses incurred or to be incurred in Originating Summons Number 309 of 2012/J.
Dated: 23 July 2012
URGENT NOTICE TO MEMBERS
- Non-Compliance to BCA Code (Update)
The Management would like to update the following as provided by Hiladt Architects, LLP (“Hiladt”)
after partial TOP inspection by BCA on 19 July 2012.
1. The areas inspected were:
a. Cabana / Deli / Linkways
b. MSCP 1st storey
c. MSCP extended carpark from 2nd to 5th storey
d. New Admin Block extension
e. Pool and pool deck areas
2. After the BCA inspection, Hiladt confirmed that only the following areas shall remain closed until
a. MSCP - Extended Carpark area from 2nd to 5th storeys
b. External canopy at new Admin Block extension
c. New lift at at Admin Block extension that is connected to the new canopy.
d. New Jackpot room at Admin Block extension
e. New Health / Spa areas at Admin Block extension
f. Palm’s Cafe and Main Kitchen areas
3. We shall keep members updated of any further developments.
Dated: 20 July 2012
URGENT NOTICE TO MEMBERS
- Non-Compliance to BCA Code (Update)
The Management would like to provide the following updates as confirmed by our Architect Mr Lim Hseng Iu (Hiladt Architects LLP, “Hiladt”) after the informal site inspection by BCA and further discussion with BCA.
1. In the interest of time and to prevent disruption to the usage of the newly constructed and / or renovated areas, Hiladt is seeking from BCA for Partial TOP for the following areas:
- MSCP 1st storey changing room, gym and commercial areas
- Cabana, Deli and linkways
- Children’s changing room and handicap toilet
- Recreation pool, children’s pool and training pool
- Reflective pond and pergolas
- Adam / Eve / Arcade rooms
- Unisex toilet
2. Our building contractor, Zenecon, will rectify all areas that required compliance under BCA code before partial TOP inspection.
3. The partial TOP inspection by BCA is scheduled on Thursday, 19 July 2012 at 9.45am. Please take note that these areas will be closed during the BCA inspection.
4. According to Hiladt, BCA highlighted that only the following areas are to be closed until further notice:
- Extended car park area from 2nd to 5th storey
- Canopy outside main entrance driveway to remain closed
- The new extension block’s lift to remain closed
- Health/ spa rooms and jackpot room to remain closed
- Palm’s Cafe and Main kitchen to remain closed
5. We shall keep members updated of any further developments.
Dated: 15 July 2012
URGENT NOTICE TO MEMBERS - “Non-Compliance with BCA Code”
(a) Building Control Authority (BCA) notified the Club on 10 July 2012 at 5.37 pm that our Club did not obtain the Temporary Occupation Permit (TOP) / Certificate of Statutory Completion (CSC) for our newly constructed and / or renovated areas which had been opened for members’ use since 9 April 2012.
(b) BCA also notified the Club that the following 35 newly constructed and / or renovated areas are not allowed for members / guests to access / use without TOP.
1) New playground
2) New landscapes
3) New Link-way
4) New R.C. Benches
5) New Covered open-air seating
6) New food stall
7) New Open trellis garden pavilion
8) New Ramps
9) Palm’s Café Extension
10) New Swimming Pool
11) Timber Pergola
12) Reflective pool
13) Children Training Pool
14) New Fun Pool
15) Changing Room (Girls/Boys)
16) Toddler Room
17) Eve’s Corner
18) Adam’s Corner
19) New Health Club/SPA
20) New Lift
21) New Lift Lobby
22) Common Handicapped WC
25) New Shop 1
26) New Shop 2
27) Open Café
28) Gym Extension
29) Renovated Changing Room (Ladies/ Gents)
30) Children Toilet/ Nursing Station
31) New Sauna Rooms (x4)
32) Extension to existing MSCP
33) New Jackpot Room
34) New Jackpot Lounge
35) New Carpark Extension
(a) Immediately, the Management Committee (MC) with members of the Development Committee convened an emergency meeting on the same evening at 7.30pm with the Club’s Architects, Hiladt Architects LLP (“Hiladt”), to verify BCA’s notification.
(b) Hiladt confirmed that they did not submit any application to BCA for TOP.
3. Immediately after the meeting, the Club wrote to BCA to appeal for usage of the above areas pending approval for TOP.
4. Hiladt has just submitted the application for TOP and to regularise all drawings and submissions.
5. Notwithstanding our appeal and pending issuance of TOP, BCA may issue a firm directive not to allow occupation and usage in all or certain of these newly constructed and / or renovated areas.
6. We shall keep members updated of any further developments.
Dated: 13 July 2012
Observers at Management Committee (MC) Meetings
With effect from 1st July 2012, MC meetings are open to Club’s members to attend as “Observers”.
MC meetings are usually held on the 4th or last Wednesday of the month at 7.00 p.m. at the MC Board Room, 3rd Floor, Admin Block. The meeting date and time may vary or change by the Chairman from time to time if and when necessary to transact the Club’s business.
Club members are granted and accorded as Observers status on a first-come-first served basis up to a maximum of 10 observers at any one meeting as the MC Board Room has limited capacity.
Observers are to comply with the following Rules when Observer status are granted:
Rules for Observers at MC Meetings
1. To apply, fax or email request to the General Manager at least 7 calendar days before the MC meeting and state your name and membership number.
2. Be punctual for the meeting. If you are late, please enter the meeting room quietly to avoid disruption.
3. Switch your hand phone to silent mode. Please leave the meeting room if you have to take or make call.
4. No video and/or audio recording of the meeting is allowed
5. Refrain from discussion with other observers and staff when meeting is in progress to avoid distraction.
6. Participation, comments and or interjection from Observers are not permitted, unless the Chairman specifically invites or requests an Observer to do so.
7. Chairman has the right to request Observers to leave the meeting when MC is discussing Club’s confidential and or sensitive matter/s.
8. Observer is to refrain from spreading rumours based on his or her opinion and or perception on any issue or matter discussed at the MC meeting.
Dated: 9 July 2012
Notice to Members
1. The Club has discharged Legal 21 LLC and appointed Senior Counsel Tan Chee Meng of Wong Partnership LLP to represent the Club in the defence of OS 309 of 2012/J (OS 309) instituted by Freddie Koh, the former President.
2. Phillip Soh has withdrawn his application to be the Intervenor in OS 309. Pursuant to the Resolution passed at the AGM on 27 May 2012, the Club will indemnify him against all legal costs incurred.
3. This is to provide an update to members on the Originating Summons (OS No. 309/2012/J) taken out by Freddie Koh to seek a declaration that the Management Committee’s Resolution dated 14 January 2009 is valid and binding, and to challenge the resolutions passed at the Extraordinary General Meeting (“EGM”) on 4 March 2012.
The Management Committee’s Resolution dated 14 January 2009 stated that:-
“The Club will assume all and any liability in the defense of and awards against any member of the Management Committee including but not limited to defense costs, legal costs and expenses including incidentals in respect of any legal action, demand or claim brought against the Management Committee (whether in part or whole) as a result of the MC or individual MC member discharging its, his or her duties and responsibilities for and on behalf of the Club as office bearers including claims for any errors and omissions resulting from the discharge of its, his or her said duties and responsibilities.”
The 1st and 2nd resolutions passed at the EGM were:-
a. That the Club seeks return from Freddie Koh of all monies paid by the Club including legal costs and expenses arising out of or in connection with Suit No. 33 of 2009, Civil Appeal No. 210 of 2010J and Civil Appeal No. 213 of 2010X (“Defamation Suit”); and
b. That no Club funds be authorised to pay for the legal costs, expenses and/or damages arising out of or in connection with the Defamation Suit.
The previous MC, through the Club’s solicitors, requested a legal opinion from Mr Michael Hwang S.C. of Michael Hwang Chambers on the validity of the 1st and 2nd resolutions passed at the EGM. This opinion was given on 20 April 2012. We have reproduced the material parts of his opinion below:-
1. “Given the express wording of Rule 21(g)(i) that the MC’s control of expenditure budgets is subject to approval by a meeting of general members, and the very wide terms of the subordination of the MC to the general meeting in Rule 21(j), the 4 March 2012 EGM Resolutions are in our view valid, and the MC is obliged to follow the EGM’s directions on this issue.”
2. “It could be argued that, on a strict construction, the indemnity in the 14 January MC Resolution (and the basis on which it was impliedly ratified by the members in subsequent AGMs through approval of budgets and expenditure), was not meant by members (or the MC) to cover acts of malice of the sort found by the Court of Appeal. ... It can be implied from the Court of Appeal’s finding of malice that the libel was outside the scope of Koh’s duties and therefore outside the scope of the 14 January MC Resolution.”
3. “Given that the MC must act in the interests (and wishes) of the members, and the members have expressed their views on how the funds of the Club should be spent, we advise the MC to state that they intend to take steps to carry out the EGM resolutions if their legal advisers confirm that it is legally possible to successfully do so.”
The Club will therefore be mounting a vigorous defence to the OS, and will be taking active steps to carry out the 1st and 2nd resolutions passed at the EGM, including the commencement of legal proceedings against Freddie Koh to recover the monies paid by the Club on his behalf in the Defamation Suit.
Usage of Competition Pool for Recreational Swimming
Members are advised that the competition pool can be used for recreational swimming at all other times except during swim competitions and events; and for the timings indicated below:-
Monday to Friday
7.30am – 9.30am
5.00pm – 7.30pm
7.30am – 9.30am
3.30pm – 6.30pm
7.30am – 9.30am
There are no training sessions on Thursdays, so the pool is available to members for the whole day.
Dated: 13 June 2012
Results of the EOGM held on 4 March 2012
The three resolutions tabled at the meeting were passed; the results are follows:
RESOLUTION 1 - That the Club seeks return from Freddie Koh of all monies paid by the Club including legal costs and expenses arising out of, or in connection with, Suit No. 33 of 2009, Civil Appeal No. 210 of 2010J and Civil Appeal No. 213 of 2010X (“Defamation Suit”) Votes For: 685 Votes Against: 248
RESOLUTION 2 - That no Club funds be authorised to pay for the legal costs, expenses and/or damages arising out of, or in connection with, the Defamation Suit Votes For: 750 Votes Against: 172
RESOLUTION 3 - That Members have no confidence in Freddie Koh as the President Votes For: 540 Votes Against: 301
SSC Sports Tee for Sale!
Price is as follow: -
Adidas / Head / Mizuno : $21.40 per piece Non Branded : $12.84 per piece Prices include GST
We are pleased to inform you that Members can now use their Credit Cards to make purchases at the week-end Bazaar stalls. We hope this will add to your convenience and shopping pleasure at the Club.
And the Bazaar vendors will continue to accept Cash.
If you have any queries or feedback to offer, please contact Nazri at 6342 3650.